Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Cultural reverberations of an election far away

Richard and Susan in Obama t-shirts: “Africa celebrates.”


At Bpeace we often speak of the moments of cultural exchange we create through our work. Steve and Kate feel particularly blessed to have been in Africa as Barack Obama made history. Today all over Rwanda and indeed all over Africa people are bursting at the seams with emotion. Rwandans did not sleep, many attended watch parties, some dozed in front of television living rooms waiting for the results. Some wear Obama t-shirts bought on the streets. One Rwandan friend reported a neighbor came over this morning in her pajamas crying in joy. Strangers are high fiving each other in the hotels and in restaurants. There have been moments of spontaneous celebration. Bpeace’s own Richard was up all night. When the speeches were over he wrote a remarkable email to us, some of which we share as it sheds light on the Rwandan response. Through his words and those of others through-out this day, I learned that the joyful emotions are not about racial pride but rather the possibility of democracy and peace that America represents.

Dear sons and daughters of America,
Today, you wake up to a new day in American history, a day that history will pass from generation to generation. Today you express the maturity of democracy in your country. Today the world clearly understands the true meaning of the United States of America. You deserve the pride, the honor to be the model of the whole world in encouraging Peace and Unity among global citizens.As I watch the news flow in, and as I watch the speeches of both candidates, I almost shed tears questioning myself. When will Africa be like this? When will Africa say NO to wars, ethnic differences, poverty, diseases etc. But deep inside me, I told myself, we still have a long way to go, but YES we can!
From the bottom of my heart, I say God Bless America.

--Richard

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is an awesome event, and it is having an impact all over the world. I have never seen anything like this. Love ya shirts!!!!

Great work Steve with Pascasie's team. It is exactly what they need at this point in their growth.


Keep the meetings going Kate.

Take care,
Sabra

Peter Lien said...

Election Day for is always a special day for me. I live in Philadelphia in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and this year I again volunteered to drive people to the polls.

My first ride was an older man who said he was voting for McCain but the rest of the day was all Obama voters, disabled and older voters who mostly need a ride just a short distance.

I really enjoy doing this service for my community helping get voters to the right polling place. I feel it is my responsibility but it is also tradition for me that I do to honor my father and mother both who have passed on. The day was leading me to many polling places, each time meeting wonderful people I would have never have met.

Many people would show up in the wrong place. One voter needed a 25 mile ride to her polling place outside the city and as darkness came to the city I picked her up on the corner of Diamond and 25th Street. She is a single mother in her 20's with two children who are both teens, she is attending Temple University. I asked her how she could do it, go to school and raise her children. She laughed and said thank you so much for helping me make my vote count, I thought for a moment that I was never going to make it to the polling place in Abington. I asked her about her boys and we spoke about the difficult times she was having with them. I could see in her eyes that she was longing for her boys to have a male role model. She cried thinking about it. I then asked her if she knew if her sons had a hero, someone they looked up to, and she stopped crying and looked at me reflecting on the question.

After a while she said no, they have nobody to look up to. Then I turned to her and said, tell them that they have a hero now.

She smiled at me and said, you are amazing and Peter, I will never forget this day.

Either will I.

Watching the coverage later that night after the election was called, I noticed that white people on TV needed to ask black people if this was a great day and how it felt for them. But as a person who has light skin I find that question odd.

For me the question should be asked to all the people of color including white people. After all these years, we as white people have finally found a way to move forward and see a man as he is, respect, love and admire him, then place our hopes in him to lead us to a promised land. Ask me too how I feel and I will tell you I cried tears of JOY!

Best wishes to everyone in Rwanda, and I say thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the wonderful learning experiences I have had with and because of you. While I am excited and honored to have a new President, I am even more thankful and honored to consider you as my friends.

Peace and much love!

Peter Lien

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your words and spirit, Richard. It is indeed a great day in America and -- as we're seeing -- all around the world. Transformation is upon us. And you and all the Associates are living proof of transformation that sustains -- and fuels growth. We learn from each other. This should be another joyful reminder that we are all connected -- and the world is indeed small.

Hi Kate and Steve. Keep up the amazing work.

Peace,
Sherry

Anonymous said...

It is truly humbling to have witnessed history being made with Obama here in America, and even more so to realize its impact around the globe. Thank you for sharing this. And thanks to Kate and Steve for their efforts on this mission. Keep up the good work!

xo

Paula